Monday, March 27, 2006

A Blustery Day

photo: St. Peter's Vicarage

Yesterday was spent close to home. Mothering Day falls in March in the UK, and lucky me, I knew this in advance. While Henrik and I were dashing around the City last Friday, I had the good fortune to hit up a LUSH (that's well-put, isn't it?) in Victoria Station.

LUSH is home to our favorite luxury bath products, something we discovered to our great delight in Vancouver on our Honeymoon. So it has that connection, too. There are a few in the states now, but plenty more over here, where it originated. I got Toni a special Mother's day package, with bath bombs, hand lotion, hair treatment, etc. She was surprised to see it on the tabel yesterday morning.

Lydia made her famous double-chocolate chip cookies, we took some walks, and for dinner went to a local Italian place called Aldo's. It's charming, and so is Aldo and his girlfriend, who is the server. Small place. I don't believe it would normally be open on a Sunday night, but it was a special occasion.

I was not feeling well, I'm still not, and Joanna had recommended the alfredo - which is not on the menu, but Aldo will make it if its requested. Delicious, subtle (not too salty) creamy, amazing. Thanks, Aldo! He actually chased us halfway down the street when we had left a few of Orson's toys behind.

As for today ... The changing of the guard? Not so much. I've never really felt compelled to see it, I mean who wants to show up in the exact place every other tourist goes to, exactly when they go there?

It was very blustery, and started to rain, and so Zelda began to lose patience with it after time. Couldn't blame her. Luckily we were standing in the right place for the morning's replacement regiments to come marching by, playing fife and drum, and so the event was not a total downer.

photo: Like mother, like daughter. A lust for shoes.

Zelda was disappointed she did not get to see the Queen, and though I tried to explain to her that Her Majesty does not make personal appearances, having already ridden in a coach with one Queen Elizabeth, she could not understand why this one wouldn't want to meet her.

We did go to the Queen's Gallery, where we got to see the permanent collection, and the Queen's 80th birthday portrait. They play a long video of the artist, Rolf, creating the portrait next to the actual thing. Zelda found this very interesting, then fell asleep, and so we got to actually look at some of the art a bit more casually.

This evening Toni, Brenda and I took a "Ghost Walk" around the West End. More jovial than creepy, our host, Graham, led us on a tour hour walk around the theatre district and then into a pub.

I am actually feeling "rather poorly" at the moment,my shoulders are very sore and I am just feeling woozle. I hope I feel better in the morning, I having a meeting with the people from SANDS tomorrow afternoon to discuss future plans for I HATE THIS. Wish me luck.


Waiting for George Michael.

3 comments:

laura said...

i hate to disappoint you, but i'm pretty sure g.m. is grounded in l.a. pending his court date for his recent drug bust. maybe another time.

feel better.

justinian said...

Everything sounds fab. Feel better.

Hey, speaking of LUSH - we took a bath just the other night with the "bomb" that you gave us at New Years. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Well, damn, Dave. You tell me to read your blog, and then I get all weepy-eyed. First over the compliments: it's nice to be appreciated! And then over the pictures of London and, especially, the Globe. I still remember how it felt to stand on that stage. I can still see it in my head. Yes, I'm a sap.