Friday, May 12, 2006

Bay Village (blank).



What an exciting day. They think they know what causes my headaches. It's all in my nose. Seriously, it's like an allergy, sinus thing. Got a great big baggie of nasal steroids and all kinds of free, new, migraine meds. Next stop: eBay.

Also, there's the opening. Last night was crazy, all kinds of little things went weird with our first, preview audience. You know what they say, bad dress rehearsal ... and so on. I just hope I don't forget to zip my fly. That's what I am always worried about.

And I have received a detailed invitation to my Bay High School 20 Year Reunion. (Cue Mirror in the Bathroom.) Yes. Time to take stock of my life. Which of these things have I accomplished since 1986:

a) Chief of Staff for the Mayor of Cleveland.
b) Toured the world with David Copperfield.
c) Produced several Broadway musicals.
d) Dissed by Robert Fripp.

Apparently the proceedings have been retooled since the last time around, but only slightly. In 1996 we spent Friday night at a bar - no schedule of events, just a keg, fried food and a lot of chat. Saturday night was catered, a sit-down dinner at a party center downtown with speeches and a slide show. Friday was fun, Saturday was not. Oh, and there was a golf outing on Saturday morning just to remind us all that no matter where we've gone, we're all from Bay Village.

This year there will be a Friday night event at a bar with a keg and fried food, but Saturday will be an informal catered affair at a party center downtown with speeches and a slide show. No mention of golf, yet.

What's up with those slides, anyway? You'd think they'd have a database by now, it's not as though we have been taking new pictures of our high school years or anything.

My job has taken me in and out of Bay High the past several years, first as an actor-teacher, then as a supervisor. What started out as odd has become familiar, especially as virtually none of my old teachers work there anymore. It's not the same school, it just takes up the same space.

I picked up a copy of the Bay Window (the last weekly high school newspaper in Ohio until 1985, now something that comes out once a semester if the mood hits them) last year to find a page dedicated to mocking alumni. Nothing too clever, just old photos with snarky captions. It's too easy to take a shot of Joe K. (a very important teacher to me, he's till there teaching English) from the mid-70s and make some hippie reference. But then I spotted a picture of Laura N. and some other guy, circa 1985. Not a remarkable shot, they're in study hall or something, it's an ordinary day.

The caption read, "Are you trying out for The Breakfast Club, too???"

I don't get it.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Oh Man, is it that time already? No thanks. I think I'll pass this time. You're right. Bay Hight isn't the same school. Hell, Bay Middle School isn't, in fact, there at all! I drove by the other day and found the prison-like structure with its guard towers had been torn down and replaced by a rather nice looking and large NEW Middle school.

pengo said...

Yes, it was rather dark and prison-like, wasn't it?