Friday, June 30, 2006

Mister Mom

One great advantage of going somewhere new is that everything you find there is new. This, at first blush, seems obvious. But as it is usually Toni who drafts our itinerary when we travel, and it is also Toni who traditionally has to find satisfying diversions for the children on a daily basis - Toni or Kelly - I have found myself, over the past few days, simplifying what was at first a mad attempt to have something wildly entertaining to do every single moment of the day.

Such mania led me, on Tuesday, to drive over an hour with the kids to South Burlington for some childrens' theater. This wasn't a waste of time (though I could, like Sedaris did in Front Row Center with Thaddeus Bristol rather trollishly critique the young actors' work) but I did find myself, in the interests of time, settling for a rather sad pizza joint for lunch, and then drag the sleeping children to the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory, where Orson remained asleep and Zelda was terrorized by the sight (and loud sound) of stuffing being injected into a bear carcass.

We've been staying closer to home since. This is just fine, as the Monpelier/Plainfield area offer a number of swell sights. After discovering the Kellogg-Hubbard Children's Library yesterday, today we returned for what is possibly the best storytime anywhere. Not only did it last an hour, Zelda lasted an hour enjoying the back and forth engagement of books and songs, and it concluded with a craft. Thanks, Megan!

Only Orson was bored, because lately he simply wants whatever looks interesting which is out of his reach. A fish hanging from the ceiling? Well, nothing else will do, then.

Yesterday it was the Cabot Creamery. Tell me, when exactly did sites of in terest begin their presentation by offering a thuddingly boring video? People used to tell us the history of a place as we went along (which was great) now we get an A&E style documentary about cooperatively owned Vermont dairies and darnit, I got out of the house so they kids wouldn't be watching tee vee.

Of course, for the two minutes they sat for it, it was the only tee vee my kids have seen all week. So that's been a plus. Also a handicap, at least when I have the desire to go to the bathroom alone or something.

The tour of the creamery, by the way, was a hit - though, again, we had an issue with big, scary machines. That crate cheese.

My off-time has been rigorously enjoyed. I have been rising at 5 or 6 to take in a run, today the woman from the help desk and I ran together, and she led me through an old trail I never would have found myself. The evenings have been spent desecrating Shakespeare or, as was the case last night, I had been asked to participate in one of the informal readings that happen every evening, just a hodge-podge of whatever everyone else is working on. It was different to feel involved.

It has been odd, being the guy with the kids. I have no idea how my presence has been received by the other young women in this dorm. I have been the only man living in the building, and that's been kind of weird, frankly. And if you were a young Grad student working in a high-intensity writing environment, you might resent having to deal with little kids running around or having tantrums in the middle of the night. But the women in their 30s or older treat me like some kind of saint when they learn who I am and what I'm doing here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would high five you if I was in the room. Granted, being Dad for Lydia for 2 and a half weeks while Brenda is working in Germany is nothing like taking care of two little ones, I still get the odd looks and then the aooreicative smiles from the moms at school.

laura said...

i wrote quite the rant yesterday about women who fetishize fathers who actually father, but i was having wireless connectivity issues in the deadzone which is our bed (ha) and while the thought still sickens me, i can't get up the rage today. so let me say instead that i feel zelda's pain. i got dragged to the teddy factory last summer and found it grotesque. but if zelda's not put off bears forever, she can come over and play with the bride and groom bears from there that we were given as a wedding present and have no idea what to do with.

Anonymous said...

Three things you don't want to see how they make: sausages and laws... and teddy bears.

pengo said...

...and productions of Mamet plays.

Anonymous said...

Mamet. He's that French guy, right?

justinian said...

Hey, if you want a slice of Americana - in the Vermont sense, and if you happen to have 4 July as a spare day... Check out any of the 4 July parades. Really, it's something else.

I'd recommend Brandon, where my old man lives, but I understand that you are way the hell out of the way. Of anything. Says a man who lives on top of a mountain.

pengo said...

Sorry, the party is over and we are leaving first thing tomorrow. Shame, I have a friend interning with Bread & Puppet who are putting on a show in Monpelier tomorrow night (they apparently celebrate the 4th on the 3rd in Montpelier) and we'll miss that, too.

We are making tenative plans to be in Niagara Falls on the 4th ... but in Canada. Spent a lot of Independence Days leaving the country ... going to Spain in 1984 ... for our honeymoon in 1999 ...

justinian said...

Why do you hate freedom?