Sunday, May 09, 2004

First thoughts on NYC ...
It has been three years since I have even attended the New York Fringe. It has gotten much more out of hand since we were there in 2001. Last year I knew at least two participants, Rik Reppe and Michael Sepesy. Each had a difficult go of it, and a lot of it had to do with the blackout. Man, what a mess, that would have driven me crazy.

But with so many shows, it will be even harder than Minnesota to attract an audience, especially for this show. But it’s a challenge I look forward to. Mostly I am excited at the very idea of performing this piece in New York. Truth is, I first thought of this show coming home from the 2001 festival. Toni’s show had done very well, and I had seen a lot of solo performances, and while we drove my mind wandered and I started making little connections. It would be months before I would begin writing it, but I know it started there.

Part of the show takes place in New York City, of course. And then there is September 11. I have already began re-writing THE FUTURE, it sounds stupid and naïve now, especially performed in the Lower East Side. I watched it on television. Harris saw it from the street, walking a friend’s dog – in the Lower East Side.

I am getting a hair ahead of myself, however. I need to make sure I can even make this trip. It feels good to know I made the cut, even if it is a very large cut. And I discovered today that Sarah Morton is going, too. The Stillbirth show and the Depression show. We need to be sure to tag-team promote our gigs, we’re going to need all the help we can get.

No comments: