Thursday, June 08, 2006

Oh, that's right. Sh*t.

A hookah bar opened up downstairs in the lobby of the Bulkley Building. We call it, affectionately, The Hookah. You can sit in the window, watching the destruction on Euclid Avenue, and smoke a hookah while enjoying bab sandwiches and listening to Egyptian movies on tee vee. Word is some of the tenants have complained about the smell (it doesn't smell like cigarette or cigar smoke, it smells like very strong incense) and Otto's got on their case for selling corned beef. I guess that's in the lease, only Otto sells corned beef in the lobby of the Bulkley Building.

The best thing is not I don't have to go across the street to Star*ucks to get overpriced, burned coffee anymore. At least not until this place closes, as every other business that has held the space has done for the past two years.

Anyway, it is June. For me that means feeling really logey and a little bit lost. It's the weather, and the sore throat I have been nursing since last weekend, the end of the school year, the end of the show, cleaning up and putting everything away - it's the end of things, and there's a little lag-time before anything new begins.

That and I have not been running since Friday. Just hasn't happened. Then I get this in my email:

Dear David Hansen,

Congratulations! You're in for the experience of a lifetime, the ING New York City Marathon 2006! We are thrilled that you will be joining us on Sunday, November 5 ...


Oh that's right. Forgot about that. Hmn.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

o wow that is sooo kewl i hope u have a good time running LOL!!1! And if they have hookahs that should b ilegal bcuz pot is against tha law anywayz!!1!! o by tha way you accidentaly pressed the axteric button insted of that B in starbucks ROTFL LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!

pengo said...

I have a little groupie.

Anonymous said...

You can get an ointment for that. Clear it right up.

justinian said...

You should switch to decaf, Anonymous.

I'm just saying.

Is NY a qualify race?

pengo said...

NYC is a lottery race. If you have had a qualifying time in another race you can get in automatically, and there are a few more instant qualifications, but I didn't fit any of them.

Last year I applied and didn't make the cut. If you aren't selected three years in a row, the fourth is an automatic in ... but I made it in two.

I guess I was ready to be disappointed, and so I'm still a little freaked out. It's not the race, it's the training. By September I'm going to be getting up at 4 every morning.

justinian said...

400 is a time that you should be thinking about dinner, not waking up to run around.

Good luck.

pengo said...

What?

lorem ipsum said...

Four am... but it doesn't need to be YOUR time zone.

justinian said...

No, there should be no 400am (says the guy who works at 600am) - 400 should be reserved for that time of day where you are starting to wind down.

By the way, when I opened my mailbox yesterday - there was a picture of some strange guy in tights staring right at me.

Strange guy seems to be in good form.

pengo said...

Yeah, uhhhh ... does that picture make any sense?