Saturday, July 26, 2003

One down, two to go (not counting Fringe.) Reservations have been low - I could write a few pages on my theories regarding attendance, I am a p.r. guy, after all, but I am too sleepy. Suffice to say, given the reservations, I was pleased at the turn-out - thirty people, perhaps?

And they were prepared. Almost a year ago I first shared this show with an audience, with a staged reading right in that very space, Dobama. And at that point in time, my question was, “Is this a play, or is this just me acting out my journal?” I am sure the audience’s questions were starker than that. We were all relieved to discover this is not only a real play, but a good one.

Then, at CPT, I was confident, but the audience was probably still on edge. Is this going to be ugly? Is this going to hurt? They were relieved as well.

Now the show is established, can we say that? And people have a good idea of what to expect, though I believe they are still pretty surprised.

So they were ready for the humor - all of the humor, I had people laughing at things they had never laughed at before ... and that was good - and kind of weird. It seemed harsher than usual, maybe because I continue to gain distance from that time, from that place (I always will) and so I really can play up some moments, I am not as afraid to go all out, but I don’t want to be a DICK or anything.

Playing the first “Julie” scene I never heard so many audible gasps. And that was fun. But by the time I got to my parents, I felt like I was beating people up. But they were with me. And it felt good.

The response following the show was good, too. People made additional donations for the trip to MN. People stayed to talk to me - Susanna, and old friend from school, asked me a question no one had asked before; how were we able to try again so soon, after all this? It was a great question. And I didn’t have a firm answer. “‘Cause we had to.” That’s all I could say.

By the way, the Dobama dressing room SMELLS.

Ode to Brian Pedaci
Our managing director, our co-founder, our man in the ticket booth, Brian. He takes on the hard work, the acquiring of concessions, the wrangling of house staff, he makes the contracts with the theaters, he writes the checks, now he is the one who copies the programs.

Brian’s artistic contributions have also been invaluable, acting in Hamlet, The Alchemist, directing SantaLand one year, and The Censor. But he also does the less glamorous stuff, and the more important stuff, the stuff hat makes the company continue to exist. As I have scaled back the hours I spend running this company, the more he puts in - and he has a wife and two very young daughters. And puts in a ridiculous amount of time at his paying job.

Why? I do not know. Does he feel his time is well spent? I cannot say. But I can say his dedication to Bad Epitaph is unquestionable, his efforts are invaluable, and his friendship means a great deal to me.

Here’s to you, Brian Pedaci. You fucking rock.

No comments: