Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Everything Is Illuminated

Perhaps I should explain. Since the first run-through I have had lame suggestions that the show would work better with other actors playing the other characters. Since the whole show is essentially a monologue, a story playing inside my head, I thought that was not a good idea. Better I just tell it.

While there are no plans for video, I would feel the same on that score, too. Attempting to depictthe scenes "as they happened" would rob the show of some of it's distance, and a lot of my commentary on it. Also, a lot of characters aren't meant to be thought of as accurate, but representations of how I received them at the time.

Radio is different. I wasn't sure how it would sound to hear my voice for an hour, without seeing the movement. I fear that would be extremely dull. So I asked some of the most talented voices in Cleveland to play all parts that aren't me. I will provide a cast list in the near future.

So, no, Henrik, you won't get to hear me play Lydia on the recording. Who you will get is better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool. Can't wait. Lydia is in the other room now cackling as Brenda rehearses her role as a lovestruck Hungarian countess. According to Lydia, her mother "slobbers" over our friend Patrick. She's not far wrong.

laura said...

it will be strange to get other people interpreting your characters, but i guess it's sort of necessary with radio. on the bright side, it will cause the employment (presumably) of more actors, and if i recall correctly you once lamented the increase in solo shows to cut costs because it eliminated so many acting jobs.