Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Grading Our Grief

Hey, this is cool. I got my evaluations back from the conference at Metro - remember, the performance that took place 38 hours after Orson was born? I wasn't expecting to see the evaluations, this is a first for me.

A lot of the comments are on the conference as a whole, and so I can't take them as directly relating to my work. But this is the first score that is on my show in specific:

Were the objectives achieved?
I HATE THIS: Identify effect of child's death on relationships with family and professional caregivers.
YES: 122 NO: 6

Six? Six people thought those objectives (pretty round objectives) weren't achieved with my show? What kind of philistines are they? Who pissed in their Wheaties that morning?

Seriously, however, it's an overwhelming positive report (sheeyah, except for some half-dozen wieners I could mention) and the written comments were even more encouraging; Powerful, Bravo, The use of the arts was a powerful teaching tool and so on. It's been a wearying week, and this package really lifted my spirits. It's good to know the work is making an effect.

One person responded to the question "How will you change your behavior because of this program?" by stating they would "Do some reading about John Adams and John Quincy Adams." Didn't get that. But suddenly I am possessed with a desire to read about them, too.

7 comments:

grumpyABDadjunct said...

LOL! I've just been going through my student evaluations from last year and there is always something that turns up that makes you go "huh?"

Congrats on the radio show, radio is a great medium. I hope they internet broadcast or podcast it so that we can listen up here.

laura said...

obviously, anyone who sees the play would be inspired to learn more about millard fillmore, not your adamses. were these people paying attention at all????

pengo said...

I think they may podcast it, but we'd have to check on the paperwork. Who knows, maybe we can get the CBC to carry it, eh?

Millard Fillmore. Millard Fillmore. Millard Fillmore. That's just fun to type.

laura said...

i think wcpn streams stuff online if it's their own special production stuff. like that old lost highway thing a couple of years ago. they would be stupid NOT to make it available online. i'm just saying.

Catherine said...

If it had been at University Hospitals, I could tell you exactly who those six people were. lol

So you want to be a radio star too, huh? Stage, screen, radio...he does it all! :o)

Good luck...and definitely keep me posted...as I'm one of the few people on this planet who has yet to see (or hear) your show.

lorem ipsum said...

95% is fabulous! Some people just love to differ. Go to any review of a controversial book on Amazon.com and you'll find all sorts of one-star and five-star reviews - the one-stars coming from people who haven't read the book but hate the fact that it goes against their beliefs or principles, not to mention the odd percentages of people who 'found this review helpful.'

And no, I don't have a clue about the Adams' either.

ps I'd love to hear a podcast or similar online stream. Hey, since it IS your intellectual property, what if you burned your own CDs and then sold them/gave them away for a donation?

pengo said...

A lot of the actors involved are union members, and there are specific uses we have for the broadcast. I am hoping that includes online use. Whenever or wherever it airs, you will read about it here first.