Sunday, January 21, 2007

Howard Katz

Thursday, June 14, 2001

You won't believe this one - we saw the world premiere of a new play at the National Theatre by this hot, British playwright. It's about this complete, showbiz ***hole who has this mid-life crisis and loses everything he owns or cares about in a desperate attempt to find some kind of meaning in life. It was part King Lear, part story of Job, and the climax, the very end of the play, this broken, destitute, shell of a man, he finally grasps his reason for living as he recounts, in glorious, passionate detail (I sh*t you not) every beautiful, exciting moment of the day that his first son was born.

We had a fun train ride home that night, let me tell you. Thank you, Patrick Marber.


Well, it only took six years, but the Roundabout Theatre Company is finally bringing Howard Katz to Off-B'way. Starring Alfred Molina, this is the American premiere of the show that ruined an otherwise nice day for Toni and I.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Yeah...I don't think I'll be going to see that one.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that was just one in a series of bad choices that week. (You don't have to reassure me anymore. I'm pretty much settled in what I should have done/said. And I don't beat myself up about that anymore.) I've got a whole bunch of other things I beat myself up over now. Glad you're posting again.

pengo said...

I take credit for that one - "New play by Patrick Marber?! I'm there!!!" Turns out to be just another Hollywood agent a-hole story. We have Americans who write those much, much better.

No, you can still beat yourself up over "Feelgood."

Anonymous said...

Done and done. I made a good calls for Denny, though. We saw Frost/Nixon and Spamalot.