Friday, January 19, 2007

Thou turnest man to destruction; and sayest, Return, ye children of men.

We checked out Children of Men the other night. I recommend it to anyone, though it is terribly violent and will bring about feelings of grief and helplessness in those already bereaved, or perhaps people in general. Hard to say. A film whose premise is the inability of the entire human race to conceive any more children would be disturbing to someone who'd never thought of it before, let alone those who think about it every day.

Having said that, it's excellent.

Even though I was not sobbing uncontrollably at the end, not the way my date was, images from the film have been haunting me for two days, and I just had to break my silence to mention it. One particular comment I wanted to share; the story of a child dying in his youth is being told, lovingly told by none other than Michael Caine (I thought he was channeling John Lennon - I just read that was actually his goal) and this other character, a (former) midwife says, "Everything happens for a reason."

I found it touching that that turn of phrase was included - I find it hard to believe that it was included by accident - and found it poignant that it was the midwife who said it.

Because we despise that sentence, don't we?

3 comments:

Catherine said...

I alternate between clinging to that sentence with all I have and hating that sentence.

laura said...

welcome back. i was beginning to think something had happened to you for a reason.

pengo said...

C: Yep. Mostly I just hate it. Maybe everything does have a reason, but people who say it are usually trying to end the conversation or are inept at dealing with the person they're talking to.

L: No, I've just been very, very busy. I am usually busy, but this has been a different kind of busy. Training for the marathon just took too much time away from everyone else in my life, and I wanted to spend time a) not moving and b) away from the computer.