Friday, April 13, 2007

31 Runs for 31 Years

Last fall I ran the New York Marathon. Yay for me. Then, around Thanksgiving, I entirely ceased running. Let's eat, drink and sleep for a change. By January I was feeling puffy and sluggish and really, really depressed. But the weather was miserable, worse than miserable, and so was I. So by early February I was inspired to finally get back out there, sub-freezing temps be damned.

I had gotten used to listening to PODRUNNER, which I still subscribe to ... but I knew I would need shorter workouts if I was going to maintain any kind of regularity in my runs. No more hour-plus runs, that's too much time, and besides, I needed to get back into shape.

So instead I crafted thirty to forty-five minute playlists - and each one would be from a different year. I didn't put them together in any particular order, but I found I could go back as far as 1977 - before that I don't have enough music in my library with enough punch. Actually, they didn't make music with punch before then.

As it also turns out, 1977 was the year I came into awareness of the larger world. Star Wars, Three Mile Island, President Carter, Saturday Night Live - and Top 40 radio, I started consuming culture that year. I cannot claim to have actually listened to everything on my 31 years worth of playlists when they were released, but if I made playlists of what I was listening to at that time, well, I would probably be doing a lot of strolling, not running.

So, for those of you who don't already following my other blog, Daddy Runs Fast, here's the run-down:

  • 1977 Daddy likes men
  • 1978 Ja tvoi sluga. Ja tvoi rabotnik.
  • 1979 Flying like a cement kite
  • 1980 Here we go again
  • 1981 The engine's thumpin' like a disco
  • 1982 Fingerpaint the sun on you
  • 1983 Did you know you had this power?
  • 1984 It's a lot like life
  • 1985 No one move a muscle as the dead come home
  • 1986 The sun. More beautiful.
  • 1987 My whole life flashed before I crashed
  • 1988 It's a physical thing but not hard to do
  • 1989 O brave new world
  • 1990 Just a minute let me slip something on
  • 1991 The sun struggles up another beautiful day
  • 1992 Just words and so much skin
  • 1993 We are such stuff ...
  • 1994 The only thing that works for me
  • 1995 Stop f*cking with me
  • 1996 And I'll need a kiss for my head that's aching
  • 1997 My blood wants to say hello to you
  • 1998 Perfect solution to the stress and the strain
  • 1999 Full fathom five
  • 2000 I drank too much last night, got bills to pay
  • 2001 I can go for miles if you know what I mean
  • 2002 It's like St. John said
  • 2003 How much do you commit yourself
  • 2004 I'm fit (but I know it)
  • 2005 You're lucky, lucky, you're so lucky!
  • 2006 Beware of the dork
  • 2007 Tomorrow there's no school so let's go drink some more Red Bull
  • No comments: