Monday, May 09, 2005

Split Focus

I have terrible allergies. I feel as if my head is stuffed with ... stuff.

The big, annual GLTF benefit was Saturday night. I was, you guessed, dressed as Shakespeare for the event, and helped tear-down until a little after midnight. I can't remember the last time I was in the streets of Cleveland that late ... okay, I can, it's when Ali and I had that late date for the Cleve Mag piece I wrote on my so-called nightlife. And that was well over a year ago.

And I have a two year-old and a heavily pregnant wife, so I was down at two and up again at six-thirty. Still haven't recovered from that, and I no doubt won't.

We are in the waiting time, when everyone asks "So? News?" And you just smile and say the usual things.

No, they aren't usual things. Some people I can be frank with. I had the rare opportunity to have an extended, off-air conversation with Dee today. In addition to having a surprising discourse about September 11 (I have set aside that dumb DaVinci book in favor of 102 Minutes) she remarked how calm I appeared in the face of imminent birth. Dee knows the story, and I had no problem telling her that, seeing as how our first son died, we spend a lot more time just focusing on the task at hand and don't bother with the jitters. Or much humor about childbirth, really. At least, not that really obvious kind of humor - you know, all the jokes Bill Cosby told that were so funny ... when he told them. The first time.

I want Morphine, ha ha ha.

So, oh yeah, the due date was yesterday. We are Day +1 and counting. Zelda was two weeks overdue - and they were not fun weeks.

And. As if this were not all enough, I have another performance of I Hate This in 11 days at MetroHealth. Kelly and I will tech the show next Wednesday ... and I just got word that the two performances I have slated for October may be in the same space as this one. That's very helpful. And we are working on a gig in Akron for around the same time. I will get the dates up when they are finalized.

So, uh. Hell. What am I supposed to do next? The dishes? I can't even see straight.

2 comments:

laura said...

so? news?

just kidding - i know how that can wear on a person - the annoyance of it is still fresh. but i am thinking about all of you and thinking good thoughts for you.

the da vinci code was a disappointment, wasn't it? i held out for nearly a year, and then my kindred spirit/college roommate who is a writer and editor asked me to read it so we could discuss it, and i would do anything for her. it certainly was a page turner - i read it on a trans-atlantic flight when i couldn't sleep - but there were so many holes in it, not to mention cliches, and cheesy dialogue, and on and on. i should have known that anything that sold as well as it did (and does) could only cater to the lowest common taste. damn.

pengo said...

Anagrams? It takes two cryptologists a half hour to figure out a couple freaking anagrams?

I'll get back to it, it is an inspiration for my next play - a children's play - but for now I have spent just a couple days finishing 102 MINUTES (just wrapped that up this morning) which was quite a page turner, indeed.

So. Back to the dumb DaVinci book.