Sunday, May 01, 2005

This Is My Job

Found something neat at work the other day - a disk of photographs from the week I spent at Midview High last year. They had taken their time to get it to me, but better now than never.

photo: "A little water clears us of this deed." (Check out the handprint on my head!)

Wow. I couldn't have asked for a better find. In a school year that had its ups and downs, this was probably the best week I and my partner Alicia had together. At first I wasn't looking forward to it - we were teaching four residencies, Macbeth, Julius Caesar, Romeo & Juliet and The Crucible, to maybe six different classes.

As it turned out, that was great, everything was fresh in every class, and I remember liking the students a lot. The Caesar class, in particular, was a trip. This was where they put the Juggaloos. A very exciting number of assassins in that class.

Another fun thing about the photos is what a snappy dresser I was that week.

For three years that was my job, and now I "supervise" and help train people to do the same job. It's funny, on the outside it all seems so chaotic, doing the work itself I felt much more in control. Still, it's the best job I've ever had, and probably ever will have. I am still intensely grateful for that. And that's another thing I owe Calvin.

No comments: