Sunday, October 23, 2005

And speaking of music ...

I hate it when stuff like this happens. Okay, so it's Friday morning early, and we're watching The Wiggles, (quote of the day; "Of course they're the biggest moneymakers in Australia, they don't spend anything on their shows." - TKT) and they're doing the "Fruit Salad" song again. Maybe for the second time this episode, it's hard to remember.

There's this guy in a chef's hat who isn't a Wiggle, and I say, "Hey, that looks like the drummer from Crowded House." Couldn't remember his name, but I did this free-association, sure CH is from New Zealand, and the drummer, as I recalled, was American, anyway, but why wouldn't he have worked with the Wiggles? Besides, it looked like him. And he was always such a clown.

My ex-wife and I were big CH fans. Saw them at least three times, loved to get down in front. Shame about Tim joining the band near the end but Neil Finn was just a genius, a really great songwriter and I love his voice. And the drummer was just your basic cut-up, like so many drummers are. But he was funny, and a great drummer.

So I look up his name, Paul Hester, of course it was.

And I Google him and find out a couple of things in succession, and very quickly, too.

That was him in the video. Paul played drums on the Wiggles album Toot Toot and appeared occasionally on the show as "Chef Paul".

Then I found out he died in March. He was 46.

Then I found out what happened was he set out one morning with his dogs and hung himself in the park. He is survived by two daughters, aged 8 and 10.

It's one of those facts I just can't pinpoint an emotion for. Others might get angry at him for abandoning two kids like that, all I can think of is how I cannot fathom the kind of torment someone must be going through to do that.

And then there's the music. This morning I was channel flipping and stopped at VH1 Classic.

Everyone in the house is ill, by the way. I haven't watched so much tube in five years.

Anyway, the video was Into Temptation from Temple of Low Men. One of my favorites - and I didn't even know there was a video for it. There he is, happy, rubbery face.

It's like when Spalding Gray died. Not the most important person in my life, to be sure, and yet, when that much desperation creeps into my life at the edges, I am truly at a loss.

We put our "Day of the Dead" altar together next week. There are too many people to remember on it this year.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my God, I had no idea he was in an episode of the Wiggles.

You have no idea how many mornings I have gone to work singing, "Fruit Salad, yummy yummy."

I guess it could be worse...my little one could still be in the Teletubbies phase or worst yet...she could love BARNEY!!!

Great observation though and linking to Crowded House!!!

Take Care,
RB

laura said...

we had a wiggles coloring book waiting for zelda last night. it had to be for her, 'cause you know i can't stand them...

sorry you all are falling apart. everyone get better soon.

pengo said...

Yes, well, Zelda has been running around like someone who has been cooped up for two days all evening, Toni almost passed out ... and now I am sure it is coming for me.

If it makes you feel any better, we had to miss three events this weekend. But why would that make you feel better? We're really sorry we missed it, I hope it was an enjoyable evening.

Catherine said...

all I can think of is how I cannot fathom the kind of torment someone must be going through to do that.

I can.

Kathy McC said...

Wow, I never made the connection. We have the video with him in it. I had no idea...how very sad. Hope you all feel better soon.

Catherine said...

Thank you for posting about your Day of the Dead alter. I have never paid attention to that particular notation on my calendar before. You made me curious and I have done some reading (albeit online)...and I think I may convince Steve into celebrating a bit ourselves, particularly on "El Día de los Angelitos."

grumpyABDadjunct said...

Spalding Gray's death happened when I was at one of my lowest points and it made me realize that I wasn't as low as he must've been, and not for so long either. I guess his death helped me, which is kind of a sad thought. I've always thought of suicide as pretty darned selfish, but now I'm not so sure.

I did think about dying after Strummer died, but not in any serious sort of way, just in an I-can't-go-on kind of way. But I have seriously thought about suicide if I become very ill; watching my dad die from cancer made me consider what options I might have in a similar situation. But I can't imagine being as depressed as Gray must've been, for so many, many years and topping myself.