Monday, November 14, 2005

Ira Doesn't Like Me

Speaking of influences, I'm a big fan of This American Life. The intimacy it engenders, in spite of its archness, is difficult to resist, and I have long felt an attachment to many of the regulars.

Sarah Vowell is a combination of several women I dated at school. David Rakoff lives my other life for me: an openly-gay, closeted-Canadian living in Manhattan. I once was hot for Sandra Tsing Loh until she became this spastic Erma Bombeck-wannabe for Marketplace. And then there's David Sedaris. My David Sedaris story is for some other time.

And those are just the contributors (many of whom have been busy with better paying gigs lately as a result) not the reporters or editors, like Alix Spiegel or Julie Snyder, Both of whom I adore, and each of whom has a voice for print.

In the past few years - well, since 9/11, really - the show has gone from quirky to important, I think. Stories about the extraordinary in the ordinary (there's that line again) are vital to being a compassionate person. Opening your mind to people who aren't like yourself, discovering your own prejudices. But they've been doing actual journalism these days, in New Orleans and Mississippi, Iraq and Afghanistan and everywhere.

And through it all there's been Ira. Ira doesn't know me, and doesn't like me. That's okay, I didn't like him at first, either. His smug vows (in early promos) that listeners would sit in their cars and wait until a story was over when hearing his show - that really pissed me off. Only it was true.

Yeah, we've tried to get on the show. Dave D. sent the Spencer Tunick piece around trying to get someone to replay a part of it. TAL wasn't interested - Tunick was old news. And they're right. The Tunick piece was eventually repackaged, or rather, butchered, into a much shorter version played on the horrid Weekend America hosted by the intolerable Barbara Bogaev, Bill Radke, and guest-hosted on that particular afternoon by the aforementioned Ms. Loh, whose commentary following our package resulted in my losing my last shred of respect for her.

I actually sent the T-shirt essay to TAL a few years back - with a cassette of my reading it. Didn't even receive a reply. I am pathetic.

And to top it off, this week I opened my copy of Time Out Chicago (someday ask me why I have a subscription to Time Out Chicago) when I find an article on the 10th Anniversary of This American Life. In it I learn, among other interesting facts, that Mr. Glass "personally despises" radio drama.

Despises.

He put that in specifically because he knew I have a radio drama coming out next week, that he knew I'd read this article, and because he doesn't like me.

But I will keep listening. I can't help myself. He's such a cute little guy.

6 comments:

lorem ipsum said...

We're big TAL fans too. Ira Glass is doing a show tour and coming to Louisville - January, I think. Hoping we can swing the tickets.

He may despise radio drama, but he certainly gets compensated well.

Favorite segments: the restaurant centered around the dead kid; the woman who makes a scrapbook page for every day of her kid's life and doesn't have time to actually live it. I'm sure there are more, but those are two that I still stay in the car for even if I've arrived at my destination.

laura said...

i'm a big fan of tal, too (favorite theme: people stuck in airports, c. 2000), but i feel of late like mr glass might be taking himself somewhat more seriously than is warranted. he creates radio drama every week. it's like the pope saying he just loathes mass.

pengo said...

Yeah - but it's real drama. He doesn't like anything that sounds fake.

So, Lorem, when you see him in Louisville (once he turns the lights on, that is) take in his philosophy on capturing great, spontaneous moments on tape - and how a really great producer can magnify it through editing and just the right music cue.

Actually, that reminds me of my favorite TAL story - a parody of his own work he did for a pledge drive. This guy tells the true story of how we was bored with his old lady, and so looks in the personal columns, and there's an entry that reads, "If you like Pina Coladas" ...

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm getting the rhythm of your blog at the moment. It didn't even cross my mind that Ira might be dead. It is a cool show. When I know that famous people despise me it usually has to do with the look on their face when I gush at them.

grumpyABDadjunct said...

You have a Sedaris story? Damn, I wanna hear it. Preferably in person.

pengo said...

Okay. Next time I am in Toronto I will tell you about it.

Actually, that may be my next post. You know - for the holidays.