Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Vertigo

We're almost through. Today Brian cut the credits, and Dee did the intro, outro, and :20 and :40 minute IDs. Producer Mark Rosenberger gave his stamp of approval by conference call - I was floored by his comments. He said it was everything they could ask for - he laughed, he teared up, he got really angry at that nurse.

There were several simple-to-fix technical notes, and he told me that he just didn't understand where we are in "First Birthday" or even what we are doing. So I re-wrote and re-recorded it right then and there. Short of having a voice-over stating "This is where we are and what we're doing" I think I have made it pretty clear. And it was a scene I was relieved to re-take anyway, I wasn't entirely happy with what we had.

Our friend Patty asked me tonight if I was nervous. And you know, I am nervous. Just the other night, while Toni was listening to the rough cut, I sat and took in the last five scenes. I sat, put my head in my hands - and got very, very dizzy. It's so fast! Everything just spills out so fast!

And it wasn't until tonight I figured out why. I've never heard my own show. When I perform it, it's like telling an old story, you never really hear yourself doing it, you are it.

I think, maybe, a little more than a thousand people have seen this show. In two and a half years, that's it. A grand. One grand. Around Noon has a daily listenership of around 40,000 - or so they tell me. I don't know how that translates to a holiday - or whether anyone will stick around for radio drama (some "personal despise" it) but at the very least, at one go we'll be sharing Calvin's story with an exponentially larger number of people.

8 comments:

laura said...

i so regret that i won't be in town to hear it. then again, flights are looking so bad, i may still be here. i will be thinking about calvin then, though, either way.

Catherine said...

At the risk of sounding incredibly cheesy...I think Calvin would be proud of his Dad for everything you do to tell his story (and yours).

Steve said I should warn you though...you may turn up more stalkers like us. :o)

justinian said...

Laura - it'll be available to listen online. You should have your family listen to it with you.

I know that if I can, I will - though I'll be on a differant continent and a differant timezone.

David, thank you again: for I Hate This. For everything.

pengo said...

Stalkers? I love stalkers!

Thanks for all the support. I am sure it's a good production ... but it's the same thing as with the Fringe productions; "Are people going to want to listen to this?"

Speaking of which - didja hear the documentary they aired yesterday about the lobotomy survivor? That was incredible.

grumpyABDadjunct said...

I am so excited for you about this! Lots of people get to hear your story and know Calvin, which will hopefully increase awareness. And you are getting to really stretch yourself as an artist and a father all at once, that is fabulous and probably doesn't happen often enough. I'm just so pleased.

Okay, when's the online broadcast?

pengo said...

The online broadcast will be a simltaneous live stream at wcpn.org next Friday at noon (eastern standard time.)

Then it should be availabel on their website, archived, a link for which I am sure I will be pasting up all over my website.

grumpyABDadjunct said...

Oh good, because I'm going to be in Florida on Friday, god help me.

Anonymous said...

We'll be in the middle of Thanksgiving when it goes up. (It's not celebrated later here. We're just having it a day later to accomodate friends that are coming.) I'm looking forward/dreading/looking forward to it very much. Your milage may vary.