Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Power of Love

I'll protect you from the hooded claw
Keep the vampires from your door.

- Frankie Goes to Hollywood

We watched The Matrix last night. Second time for me, first for Toni. After the colossal ripping the sequels received, Toni wasn't expecting anything and as a result, enjoyed it.

It is disturbing to watch the part when Neo and Trinity storm the office building, even now. Ghosts of Columbine.

The 90s were stuffed with meaning, the encroaching "millennium" offered such gargantuan symbolism. How many more movies about the end of the world could there be?

Since January 1, 2000 - or more accurately, since September 11 - all of that seems rather pointless. Thanks to our masters, the world as we know it already has ended. And it doesn't mean anything.

Zelda and I went shopping for Christmas lights tonight. I wouldn't get her any candy, this time. I get her too much candy, anyway. We have a tree, it's nice. Toni took the best picture of Orson, ever, in his bunny hat. I will make sure a print falls into the right hands around Graduation Day 2023.

How old will Zelda be before she yells at me not to sing 80s Christmas pop songs at the top of my voice in the car?

Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas.
Couldn't miss this one this year.


Regarding the photo above; I have no idea who these people are. Just did a google search on Christmas and 1984. Thought it could stand in for a nice picture of our three kids.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, David. Can't wait to see you. Oh, The Matrix was a brilliant movie. That's why people were so disappointed by the sequels. For me at least, my anticipation for the second one was off the scale.
But, yeah, the end of the world certainly isn't what it used to be.

Anonymous said...

"You can't sing, Daddy. You stop singing now."

Yeah, I get that a lot too. I should clarify that Ivy isn't critiquing the quality of my singing, only that she has forbidden anyone else from singing in the car.

Funny thing is, I just dug out the Santaland Diaries CD to find out what the title of that specific song was.

Hope we get to see you guys before or at least during the holidays sometime.

Anonymous said...

What I get, a lot, is "That's not funny, Dad." And then she hits me. This, even after she has initially laughed at the joke.

pengo said...

And speaking of SantaLand ...

Love to know how anyone has found the two productions which are currently playing here in town. I am sure they are each very funny in their own right.

But I had the occasion to catch a second or two of the video we shot closing night in 1999 - that was the first year. It was in a bar. It was sold-out. And Curtis was so F**KING FUNNY. No, I don't think it makes a very good play, but he made it work.

And of course, the sound design kicked ass.

Catherine said...

Boy, are those people in for a shock when they find their picture on your blog. lol

laura said...

nice picture. if your kids knew you found something so dorky to represent them, they would kick your ass. you know, if they could reach it.

AJW5403 said...

I found your blog/site today and read you letter to the fathers. I hope you don't mind but I printed it out for my own husband. Thank you for putting that up for others to see.

pengo said...

How could I mind? I am glad you decided to use it. Toni thinks it's too harsh, maybe a little unsensitive to the men to whom its directed. I feel any guy who is offended by it is the kind of guy who needs to read it.

Be strong. Find what comfort you can in the holidays. Avoid the jerks. I am sorry for your loss.