Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Happy birthday to me (a few years late.)

I turn 38 in a couple weeks. So it was a belated thrill to discover photos from my 35th birthday, pictures I've never really looked at. I was trying to make some sense out of my office and happened upon the disk - they were from Mark C.'s camera, but he didn't get me the disk for another year or so. Better late than not at all.

It wasn't just a party, it was a fund-raiser. I thought I knew how to throw one of those, but apparently not. We needed to raise money for the first Fringe tour of I Hate This, this was the first outing of the show following its premiere at CPT back in 2003. I figured throngs of people would be lining up to drop fifteen bucks on three special benefit performances held at Dobama Theatre before moving onto Minneapolis. A small crowd actually did.

What was worse was the idea that - since the scond day of performances was my birthday - we would throw an actual birthday party for me, following the show. Kinda gross, I know, celebrating my 35th birthday after a show about a boy who never really got one.

It was Nick who pushed me into taking it seriously, as in serious fun. He planned an awesome, adult party. I blogged it way back when. That part worked, what didn't was stictly tying the two events together - $25 to see both the show and the party afterwards. The actual performance got the lowest turnout of all three perfs that weekend ... but a bunch of theater types showed up in time for the party, and we let them all in for $10 each.

We got it straight the following year - one benefit performance only (more special that way) and it was free. THEN I hit people up for cash after bows, reminding them we needed money to eat and live in New York City for ten days. Ask people for $15 up front, and they stay away. Get a crowd to come for free, and they give you $20 as they leave.

Seeing those photos was a treat, though. That was like the beginning of the journey this play has taken me on. I am glad it still has a life, every situation I have had the chance to perform it has come with its own unique after-effects. The CPT run was nearly sold-out, it was a bit of a reality-check when few people attended these benefit shows. But the party afterwards was a reminder of how many folks I have supporting me, how many great friends I have, the different theaters which have done so much to contribute to making this all possible.

David's 35th Birthday Party Photo Gallery

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mr. Siller! How cool is that? Brilliant photos. Packing - hitting the road on Friday AM. love to you and the fam, H