Friday, March 09, 2007

Anne Francis Stars In "Forbidden Planet"

This spring I am part of the repertory company for Great Lakes Theater Festival's production of THE TEMPEST, directed by Andrew May. In preparation for the performance I went to Netflix and queued up a copy of Forbidden Planet.

I think in this version, my character is the alcoholic cook, but I'm not sure.

A sci-fi classic from 1956, starring a 30 year-old Leslie Nielsen as the captain, it's exactly the kind of movie MST3K used to send up, only with a plot, interesting characters and fabulous (even by today's standards) special effects.

Yeah, it's a little like TEMPEST, if you count a creepy philologist for the sorcerer Prospero and his slutty late-twenties daughter for the 14 year-old Miranda. Robby, the Robot (check the correct punctuation!) is either Ariel or Caliban, I can't tell.

What is most thrilling is that after a long day of supervising and rehearsing, and joining my family for library time, and then Harriett's 40th birthday party, everyone came home and promptly fell asleep, leaving me to make a Manhattan, pop some popcorn, and watch this chestnut with all the lights out, on my lonesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And here was me, plumping for The Godfather on my own while everyone else in the house were seeing Becoming Jane.

Oh, and Flash Gordon was there, in silver underwear.