Monday, March 19, 2007

Any practice or pattern of behavior regularly performed in a set manner.

Life intrudes.

Last year we celebrated Calvin's fifth just before leaving for London. In fact, our calendar was arranged around it, that's when my hiatus began and we had a flight on Tuesday as opposed to a nicely rounded Sunday or Monday. The year before we had a wedding to attend in NYC, a wedding on the 20th, and so most of our rituals were performed on the 19th - going to the zoo, preparing and enjoying the feast. On the morning of the 20th we decorated the brick and went to his grave before heading to the airport.

This year it's my schedule that has things out of order. Because I am performing in one-half of a rep, the second half, the last week has been spent in a holding pattern (i.e. no rehearsal) while the other show got on its feet. Now that HAY FEVER has opened, TEMPEST rehearsals resume in earnest - starting tomorrow.

This afternoon I will prepare meatballs and whatever else I can do. Tomorrow we will perform our remembrances in the morning before my noontime call, and have a late-night feast whenever I get back, probably after 8.30. We will shake the kids a little bit to keep them awake.

Every year a ritual ... that changes.

"... and on Tuesday it is brother Calvin's birthday ..."

"Yay!" said Zelda.

No comments: