Friday, May 11, 2007

I think I'm dumb

Sometimes my performance is part of a larger conference. Here in Louisville, it's actually a separate event which was orchestrated by Amy M. to coincide with a conference. Today there is a day-long event, Postpartum Depression and Infant Development, at Baptist Hospital. The keynote speaker was Dr. T. Berry Brazelton, and it was our desire to get to see him speak.

In brief, we succeeded, in spite of a dear lack of sleep and several wrong turns on our drive to the hospital. Wow, what an incredible man. In short, his was a plea that we basically need to change our medical establishment, our education establishment, our government and our society for the sake of children and their parents - and of course, he's right - but his talk made you believe, as if for the first time, that this is necessary, important, and possible.

Attending such events, as part of my travels presenting IHT, makes me feel how little I have actually picked up, or how few advantages I have taken, presented with the possibility of hearing such lectures, or meeting such people. Sorry, I don't mean to make it all about me, but you know, it is all about me.

I don't just mean to imply I am merely thick or feckless, it is all irritating how many times I have attempted to accomplish something, take advantage of an opportunity, and I end up getting smacked with a migraine or just miss the bus. Today I was terribly grateful, after last night's ordeal, to actually make it to the church on time.

Or the hospital. Tonight I need to make in to the church on time. And I need to decide if I do the show in street clothes with glasses, The Sweater without contacts, or The Sweater with glasses. I really do not want to do the show in The Sweater and glasses, I don't think that looks right. I have done the show in a T-shirt before, but that was because it was sweltering and not because I am a bonehead.

No comments: