Tuesday, April 25, 2006

For your information, I did have my head examined.

Haven't been to my desk in weeks, I have been on "hiatus" from GLTF since just before Calvin's birthday and the trip to London. Gave me the chance to do, in addition to all the traveling, Sarah's show.

So I was in yesterday, we were performing DARK LADY on the Ohio stage for a teachers' workshop. I had exactly one message, from the office that's looking into my migraines. They'd set up an appointment for me to have an MRI, but I needed to schedule it by (get this) tomorrow. The message was left a long time, ago, you see.

Surprise, they were able to see me right away. Last night. I had an MRI. Visions of Peter Krause after the accident in season one of SIX FEET UNDER running through my head (would they show up on the monitor?) as I tried to relax, God knows what kind of radiation streaming through my skull and gray matter. And eyeballs. And tongue. I'll stop.

They were ridiculously calm and kind, the technicians and nurses, or whatever they were. I had earphones - what kind of music would I like? I asked for nature sounds, they had a rainstorm still in the CD player, perfect. Only it didn't stand a chance against the gigantic, rumbling machine sitting a few inches above my nose. Lucky I had a cage bolted over my face for protection. I tried not to open my eyes too much, actually.

And then, on the way out, they handed me the slides. All of them, a big package. Lots of lovely pictures of my brain - so shut up all of you, I have proof, do you? And Christ Almighty, is my nose really that big?

I've looked over a few of them. Haven't spotted any big, dark, asymmetrical blotches or anything that doesn't look ... brain ... ish. I am counting on the experts saying the same thing.

5 comments:

justinian said...

I'd frame those pictures if I were you. And maybe request a few wallet portraits? You know, just in case any of us start to doubt this large brain thing.

Glad you made it through the testing. I hope that this rests some anxiety, and that perhaps they can find a "fix" for the headaches.

Anonymous said...

Hey, scan one of those puppies in! I've been hoping to one day see the inside of your head without resorting to a baseball bat.

pengo said...

I see. Abuse.

grumpyABDadjunct said...

Yeah, I want to see some brain matter! Scan 'em and post 'em!

I didn't get music during my MRI but I didn't mind. The noises it made reminded me of the Tommy soundtrack so I spent the time trying to match the sounds to particular songs. I didn't get any pictures to take home, but I didn't really want pictures of my uterus; my head would have been a different story!

As a fellow migraine sufferer, although it sounds like mine are not as extreme as yours, I offer my condolences. My only sure-fire way to get rid of them is to get pregnant, I guess that isn't an option for you! Hope you find some way to deal with them.

laura said...

you must have done something very, very bad, and now you are being paid back in nasty brain contractions. i mean, everyone knows migraines are always the bearer's fault. or just, you know, in their heads.

in our massive spring cleaning we found justin's x-ray of his feet from when he fell in peru a couple of years ago. (okay, technically, the fall was my fault, as i pulled him down, but on some level, i'm sure he had it coming.) we framed it and put it in our living room on one of those giant display ledges/toddler bars we inherited, and it looks like it belongs there. maybe you should frame the best shot of your noggin and put it on your mantle. dude - we'll start a decorating trend.