Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A Waste of Life

Thanks so much to Catherine for finding this: A Waste of Life: Fathers' Experience of Losing a Child Before Birth. It is a pretty stunning read - and a little disorienting to find it was published in 2001. It's like, you were putting this out there just as I was discovering it all. Feels strange.

Dream Diary: Saturday, September 15, 2001
I walked down a street and noticed that the further I got down the road, the more cars there were, parked first orderly to the side and then at crazy angles to the pavement. They were all blue cars, the same uniform, bright blue. It was then I realized a paint factory had blown up and coated the street.


Tonight I realized most of the characters I have played in Sarah's work are not the protagonists, but those who effect the protagonists. Those Who Cause Damage. Three of the four characters I will perform in NIGHT BLOOMERS could (possibly) fall into that category. But one ... he's an invitation to the dark places.

I get Calvin and 9/11 caught up together, the way a lot of people do with tragic events; this, therefore, that. Post hoc, propter hoc. The first time that kind of survivor's trauma was expressed to me eloquently (or so I could understand it) was in the film Last Night. "My girlfriend died ... and then they said the world was going to end." You have to see it.

No comments: