Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sunday School

We joined Covenant Players this morning for a service at Bow Baptist/London Chinese Baptist Church. As is the case with so many congregations in the UK, Bow Baptist has dwindled in size, and so the London Chinese Baptists, who did not have a building of their own, have struck a sort of compromise. To see the breakdown of the worshippers this morning, I believe the future of Bow Baptist is Chinese.

It was delightful to see Henrik, Brenda and Joanna work together. I don't believe I have actually seen my brother and his wife do this work together since the weekend they were married. That's 20 years ago this June. They put on three short plays, one for the children and two for the adults. The set was a table, some chairs, the costumes their clothes, a few odd props - and fake blood. I could dig it. Looked like my day-job.

When Henrik came out after the longest of the plays, he led a Q&A about the issues raised in the performance, this about a leper healed by Jesus who shyied away from thanking Christ for the miracle, and taking the risk to find Jesus' followers only after he had been killed. Asking people what they think about what they see is a difficult task in the best of situtations. I can dig it. Again, I think my brother's work and my own has more in common than I ever realized.

It was agreat way to bring our journey here to a conclusion, it started with me performing for the Albion team, and ended with their performing for us.

We had a great Sunday roast afterwards at a family-freindly pub called The Gun, and just finished out the evening watching the first episode (a rerun) of a dynamite new drama on the BBC; Life on Mars, about a 2006 cop who gets hit by a car, and spends the rest of the series as a 1973 cop, trying to figure out if he is going crazy, in a coma, or dead. Or, just perhaps, really in 1973.

No comments: