Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Music from the Big Love

It's 2006 - do you know how hard it is to find high quality audio cassettes?

In 1997, to celebrate three years together, I made a mix tape (remember those?) for Toni. 100 minutes of music and sound bites - in chronological order based on when we were listening to them. Music that was popular, concerts we went to, other business. It's a sweet kind of mess. Drinking, Smoking & Screwing is the title of a book of short stories she gave me when we started dating.

Three years later, and time for another tape. We were taking a three week road trip (supposedly our last before having our first child, which turned out ... differently) and so it was geared more towards being a driving tape. More pop music, less weird things, upbeat - except for the ending. That's You Must Love Me and no, we don't like Evita. Truth is, neither of us have ever seen Evita.

The last one, From There to Here, was tricky. How to create a simple mix tape based on what you have been listening to for the past three eyars, when those years included stillbirth, September 11th and the birth of your first living child. We were both pretty happy with how it sounds. (FYI, Henrik - two of those songs are from London, 2001. Guess which ones.)

Tomorrow we leave for Chicago. It's been three years. Got a new tape ready to go. Anyone who can guess any of the songs that are on it gets a dollar. I'll put the list up tomorrow.

8 comments:

justinian said...

"in chronological order based on when we were listening to them."

nice. that's a lot of work, but very thoughtful.

There's a bit from "High Fidelity" where dude organizes his entire record collection that way. I'm more of a genre organizer - but L just doesn't "get" what guitar driven means... so it's back to alphabetical.

Enjoy Chicago.

Oh, and I'm guessing a Green Day tune makes the cut. "When September Ends" or whatever that song is called?

Anonymous said...

From London 2001 I'd guess the West Wing theme because I yammered on about little else.

On that basis I'd expect the Doctor Who theme on your new one along with My Zelda by Alan Sherman and Doncha by the Pussycat Dolls. Plus something rockin' from "We will rock you."

Anonymous said...

Oh, and the Jackal.

pengo said...

Justin: Close, but no dollar. There's already some intense, political stuff in there and as much as I wanted that one in (it kept ringing in my head when Orson was being born) I couldn't include it.

Henrik: No, no, no, we'd been into West Wing for a year before we visited you (good call on the Jackal, I should have put that in and just left the theme song out) - Toni gave me Miles' Porgy and Bess for Father's Day, and then there's the music from the Globe's MACBETH. Geez.

Also, no Dr. Who - but you're close. And as for your other guesses, you're cute.

Anonymous said...

Banquet by Bloc Party?

Anonymous said...

Ach! How could I have missed Claire van Kampen? All right then. Tainted Love? (Surely not Toxic.)

pengo said...

Anonymous: I wish I was as cool as you.

HH: Wrong show.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I got it as the computer was booting up. OK, so right near you've got Bowie singing Life on Mars and maybe also James Blunt singing You're Beautiful?

BTW: No one is as cool as Anonymous.