Friday, April 14, 2006

Things That Are Spooky Weird About Downtown Chicago

Spent a big long day going from place to place with the kids while Toni checked out the Institute. Zelda, Orson and I were left at Millennium Park, Zelda ran around the big metal Bean, and was roundly ingored by some rude seven year-olds while splashing around the fountain with the big faces.

A few really weird things jumped out at me as we wandered around the city:

- None of the storefronts are empty.
- A large number of people work here.
- A large number of people live here.
- A frightening number of people appear to have come here from out of town for no other reason than to do and see things here (I think there's a word for such people, but I don't know what it is.)

Also, we went all the way out to the suburbs and back and didn't need to use my car. Odd. How did we do that?

We visited a very nice school in Oak Park. Ben D. came out to join us, he gave us a quick tour of the neighborhood, and was a sweet Uncle Ben to the kids. There were also some super teenagers in the park who taught Z. how to use a frisbee.

This place f***ing rocks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds excellent. Are you absolutely sure that you left London?

pengo said...

It is hard to tell. I can tell you where I am not, however.

Anonymous said...

No, Toto, I don't think you're in Cleveland anymore. Say Hi to Dorothy Gale for me.

lorem ipsum said...

Well, having grown up in the nontrendy area (well, except maybe for rappers), I feel a little bitter and deprived. Glad you had fun though. All that stuff is relatively new - feels like another planet, indeed.

I'll be going back in a month to punch up my accent.